Hyperpigmentation Causes + 5 Pro Tips to Avoid
What is hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is an umbrella term referring to the appearance of darker spots on the skin, whether as age spots, melasma or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. The size of these dark areas can vary from small patches to larger areas and even the entire skin. They can appear anywhere on the body, but are most common on the face, chest and hands. Hyperpigmentation occurs when the skin overproduces melanin, most likely due to sun exposure, aging or hormonal changes.
What causes hyperpigmentation?
Melanin is the pigment that gives skin its color. Excess production of melanin can lead to the appearance of hyperpigmentation.
The main reason skin suffers from hyperpigmentation is sun exposure. You’ll note that the most affected parts are those most exposed to sunlight. Hormonal changes can also affect the production of melanin of the skin, for example during pregnancy or when taking birth control. And while there are certain medications that can cause the skin to overproduce melatonin, it can also be a normal result of aging (hence the term “age spots”).
5 pro tips to avoid hyperpigmentation
- Apply sunscreen. Use SPF 30 to 50 on a daily basis, and reapply often when the sun is strong. Apply sunscreen to your neck and the back of your hands as part of your daily routine. Avoid sitting in the sun for too long if you’re prone to hyperpigmentation.
- Extra UV protection. Go the extra mile with your UV protection: sunhat, 100% UV protection sunglasses, covering up your shoulders and decolleté. Reduce the usage of tanning beds to an absolute minimum or give them up entirely.
- Avoid picking at the skin. If your hyperpigmentation is caused by an injury or inflammatory skin condition, avoid picking at scabs, acne or spots.
- Natural remedies. Some natural remedies might be effective in avoiding hyperpigmentation. Aloe vera, soy, mulberry and green tea are said to reduce dark spots, though results might differ from person to person.
- Use the right skincare. To reduce the appearance of age spots and even out skin tone, opt for a cosmetic brightening serum from a reputable source, such as the Swissforce Age Spot & Skin Brightening White Serum. It is formulated with natural ingredients such as skin-lightening berries, brightening garden cress, and calming Vitamin B3.
Image avec texte
Combinez des images avec du texte pour créer des sections de campagne remarquables, des promotions accrocheuses, des blocs d'information et bien plus encore.