Wrinkles & fine lines causes + 5 pro tips to avoid
Occurring as lines, creases or folds on the skin, wrinkles are a normal sign of aging. They first appear where the skin folds naturally due to facial expressions. An additional factor is the
decrease in collagen production that happens as we age. Collagen is responsible for skin’s elasticity, and less of it makes it harder for our skin to spring back to its initial state.
What causes wrinkles and fine lines?
Aging skin loses both elasticity and moisture. This makes it more prone to wrinkles and fine lines, as it’s less able to protect itself from damage. Another big factor is sun exposure, which is why we notice wrinkles first appearing on the most exposed areas: the face, neck, and back of the hands. Additional risk factors include smoking, the use of tanning beds, dehydration, certain medicine, and of course, genetics.
5 pro tips to avoid wrinkles and fine lines
- Use UV protection. Reduce skin damage and prevent the appearance of wrinkles by always using UV protection. Sunscreen is very important, regardless of the season; UV protection sunglasses and sun hats should also be part of your arsenal. Opt for SPF cosmetics and avoid staying in direct sunlight for too long.
- Quit smoking and drinking. Keep smoking and drinking alcohol to a minimum, or give them up entirely. Both of them dehydrate and speed up skin aging.
- Eat a balanced diet. Include vitamin-rich, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant foods in your diet, for example green tea, avocado, berries or olive oil. At the opposite pole, avoid sugar and refined carbs, which have negative effects on the skin.
- Moisturize and hydrate. Aging skin needs hydration inside and out. Make sure you drink enough water, which will benefit your overall health, as well your skin. Moisturizing your skin nourishes and hydrates it, reducing the chance of wrinkles forming.
- Use a retinoid. Derived from vitamin A, retinoids increase collagen production and encourage skin regeneration, making it plumper and youthful looking. Try the Swissforce Wrinkles Serum, which is suitable for all skin types and offers long-lasting hydration.