Spider veins causes + 5 pro tips to avoid
What are spider veins?
Spider veins, also known as thread veins, appear on the legs or face, and can be either blue, red or purple. They are small, twisted blood vessels that become visible through the skin, whether as webs, branches or thin lines. Although they’re not painful or cause for concern, people often want to treat them for cosmetic purposes.
Spider veins shouldn’t be confused with varicose veins, which are a more advanced stage of the condition, where the veins bulge when standing. Varicose veins are also associated with pain, swelling, itching and blood clots, which is not the case of spider veins.
What causes spider veins?
When the valves in the veins are weakened, blood struggles to flow in the right direction and can agglomerate in a certain spot. With time, this spot can produce a bulge, visible through the skin as spider veins.
Spider veins are more common in women, they’re genetically transmitted, and can worsen with age. Other risk factors include hormonal changes (such as pregnancy), standing/sitting for long periods of time, a history of blood clots, and sun damage.
5 pro tips to avoid spider veins
- Wearing compression socks. Compression socks or pantyhose apply pressure on the veins, which can improve blood flow and prevent the appearance of more spider veins.
- Wearing sunscreen. Especially on the face, a high UV factor sunscreen can prevent the appearance of spider veins. UV rays are known to damage the skin, including by breaking blood vessels.
- Keeping fit. Avoid sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Regular exercise improves blood circulation, preventing blood from pooling in the legs. Maintaining a healthy weight also reduces the pressure on the veins and allows the blood to flow properly.
- Avoid excessive heat. Spending too much time in hot tubs or a sauna causes the veins to dilate, which in turn can result in spider veins in the legs.
- Relief cream. Try a cosmetic treatment, such as the Swissforce Perfect Legs cream, which calms and soothes the skin, improves muscular tone, stimulates blood circulation, and reduces the redness of spider veins.
Image with text
Combine imagery with text to create stand-out campaign sections, eye-catching promotions, information blocks and more.